E-commerce, M-commerce Spending Rise in Q3, Says comScore

comScoreRESTON, Va.-U.S. retail spending from both e-commerce and m-commerce gained significantly in the third quarter, according to research from comScore.

Desktop-based e-commerce sales totaled $47.5 billion in the quarter, up 13 percent from the third quarter of last year. M-commerce spending on both smart phones and tablet computers jumped 26 percent versus last year, reaching $5.8 billion. These figures marked the 16th consecutive quarter of sales increases from these sources, and the 12th consecutive quarter of double-digit increases, comScore said in its statement on its research.

The top-performing online product categories were digital content and subscriptions, apparel and accessories, consumer packaged goods, consumer electronics and jewelry and watches. comScore also said e-commerce accounted for 9.4 percent of all consumer discretionary spending, its highest third-quarter share ever. In terms of m-commerce, purchases using smart phones represented 62 percent of these buys, with tablets accounting for the remaining 38 percent.

Gian Fulgoni, comScore's chairman, said the 13 percent increase for e-commerce actually represented a slight deceleration from the second quarter. In addition, there are causes for concern about the upcoming holidays, such as macroeconomic indicators that show some softness in discretionary spending, along with the fact that there will be six fewer shopping days this season compared to last year, Fulgoni said.

"Nonetheless, we are confident that the growth rate in online spending will once again far exceed that in bricks-and-mortar stores, reflecting the ongoing channel shift to e-commerce," he said.

HFN Staff | News & Commentary

HFN provides detailed information on the key home classifications: Housewares, Tabletop, Floor Covering & Rugs, Furniture, Home Textiles, Lighting, Home Decor, Mattresses & Bedding, Gifts, Major Appliances and Consumer Electronics as well as Business, Finance and Retail.

Videos

  • Patti Carpenter Talks Color and its Importance in the Home

    Camera Icon   More Videos

Subscribe to
HFN Omnichannel
Receive the news you need to know about the trends in the industry delivered right to your inbox.

Current Issue

  • HFN cover for September 2017

    HFN's DIGITAL EDITION

    September 2017


    COVER STORY:

    2017 State of the Industry Report
    Cautious Optimism, Mixed Results

    Many expected 2016 would be a banner year, but the political and economic climate softened consumer confidence. It was also a year consumers spent more lavishly on home remodeling rather than decorating.


    ALSO IN THIS ISSUE:

    •  TJX Unveils First U.S. Homesense Store - In a time when retailers are reducing store counts, TJX continues to get physical.
    •   Ikea’s Fluid Spaces - The retailer’s new intros reflect multifunctional rooms.
    •  N.Y. Home Fashions Market Preview - Textile textures get soft and cozy, colors warmer.