Ahold, Delhaize Agree on Merger

Merger will create $60.8 billion retail business
June 24, 2015David Gill

AholdDelhaizelogosBRUSSELS-Supermarket giants Royal Ahold and Delhaize have reached an agreement to merge the two businesses.

Under the terms of the agreement, which will create a combined company to be called Ahold Delhaize, Delhaize shareholders will receive 4.75 Ahold ordinary (nonpreferred) shares for each Delhaize ordinary share. Ahold shareholders will own about 61 percent of the combined company’s equity, with Delhaize shareholders owning the remaining 39 percent.

Mats Jansson, Delhaize’s chairman, will become chairman of Ahold Delhaize. Dick Boer, CEO of Ahold, will become CEO of the combined company. The two businesses reported aggregated net sales of €54.1 billion (about $60.8 billion according to recent exchange rates) for 2014.

A joint statement from the two companies said the merger is expected to be finalized by mid-2016.

The statement said the merger “will bring significant benefits and long-term value to customers, associates and shareholders.” Among these benefits will be a “complementary base” of 6,500 stores in the United States and Europe, serving 50 million consumers; more choices in products, services and shopping options; increase in the impact of social responsibility and sustainability programs; and “significant value creation potential for shareholders.”

David GillDavid Gill | Senior Editor
dgill@hfnmag.com

David Gill covers home textiles, small electrics housewares, personal-care products, cleaning products, mattresses, consumer electronics and major appliances. He also reports on retailers and writes about the business and financial side of both vendors and retailers. He has more than 30 years of experience in business journalism, and has worked for other publications and websites that cover consumer products from both the manufacturer and retailer sides. His outside interests include sports (he is a big fan of the New York teams and of British soccer), cooking, movies and theater. He occasionally enjoys a good cigar as well.

Videos

Current Issue

  • HFN May digital issue

    HFN's DIGITAL EDITION

    May 2017


    COVER STORY: HFN Turns 90

    We commemorate HFN's 90th anniversary by paying tribute to the iconic retailer and supplier brands--and the people--that have helped the industry flourish, then and now.


    ALSO IN THIS ISSUE:

    • Up & Coming Leaders - The home industry is in capable and visionary hands as this year’s 40 Under 40 list attests. Today’s young leaders span all disciplines and varied levels of operation.
    • Omnichannel Retailing - In the Mobile App World, Time is Money