GLM May Be for Sale, Owner Says

LONDON-Daily Mail and General Trust (DMGT), owner of GLM, said it is exploring "strategic alternatives" about the company's U.S. trade-show unit--which, according to sources, could include a sale of the business.

The statement said, "The strategic review of GLM follows the conclusion that there is limited opportunity to leverage the GLM assets across the wider DMGT group, and that we should focus our events activities onto fewer areas ... such as our portfolio of energy shows and our activities in the Middle East."

 

A source close to DMGT said a GLM sale would probably be valued at more than $200 million. The source added that another alternative would be for DMGT to hold on to GLM and reorganize it.

DMGT said it has appointed Jordan, Edmiston Group, based in New York City, as its financial advisers in the process.

Among GLM's trade shows are the New York International Gift Fair, which this summer will include the Gourmet Housewares Show; Surtex; the International Contemporary Furniture Fair; and the International Hotel, Motel + Restaurant Show. DMGT first purchased a 25 percent stake in GLM in 2000, and made two separate deals in 2007 to acquire the remaining 75 percent.

"Following a strategic review, DMGT has announced plans to sell its U.S.  tradeshow business, GLM," GLM said in a statement. "DMGT has appointed investment bank Jordan Edmiston to handle the sale, which has reached second-round bids.  The sale will initiate an ownership change, ­ not a management change ­ for GLM tradeshows, and has no impact on ongoing GLM activities. At this time, GLM's comments are limited to confirmation of DMGT's announced plans."

HFN Staff | News & Commentary

HFN provides detailed information on the key home classifications: Housewares, Tabletop, Floor Covering & Rugs, Furniture, Home Textiles, Lighting, Home Decor, Mattresses & Bedding, Gifts, Major Appliances and Consumer Electronics as well as Business, Finance and Retail.

Videos

  • Von Tobel Cites Brass Textures Among Top Trends

    Camera Icon   More Videos

Subscribe to
HFN Omnichannel
Receive the news you need to know about the trends in the industry delivered right to your inbox.

Current Issue

  • HFN cover for September 2017

    HFN's DIGITAL EDITION

    September 2017


    COVER STORY:

    2017 State of the Industry Report
    Cautious Optimism, Mixed Results

    Many expected 2016 would be a banner year, but the political and economic climate softened consumer confidence. It was also a year consumers spent more lavishly on home remodeling rather than decorating.


    ALSO IN THIS ISSUE:

    •  TJX Unveils First U.S. Homesense Store - In a time when retailers are reducing store counts, TJX continues to get physical.
    •   Ikea’s Fluid Spaces - The retailer’s new intros reflect multifunctional rooms.
    •  N.Y. Home Fashions Market Preview - Textile textures get soft and cozy, colors warmer.